Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

I need to know whether I must file a tax return Mom. She is

Customer Question

I need to know whether I must file a tax return for my Mom. She is disabled and living in an assisted living home in Texas. She is getting a modest social security check each month. I am the one she wants to take care of these types of things. She is ninety and pretty forgetful. Linda
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Good evening Linda. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Social security income is only taxable to the extent your mom has other income and that other income exceeds a certain level. If the only income your mom receives is Social Security income, then it is non-taxable. If all she has is that non-taxable income, no tax return need by filed. :)

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!