Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

Regarding a 1099-c situation and I can claim insolvency, is

Customer Question

Regarding a 1099-c situation and I can claim insolvency, is a leased vehicle considered as an asset? If so, what value would I put on it?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

No, a leased vehicle would not be an asset. You do not have title to the vehicle and are required to turn it back into the dealer at the end of the lease term. Therefore, it's not something that a creditor could look to for the recovery of any debt. So, you would not include this as an asset on your Form 982.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!