Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

I own a home on Maui which I claim a home exemption on. I

Customer Question

I own a home on Maui which I claim a home exemption on. I will be living with my daughter on the mainland for 6 months at a time. I plan to rent my home to my other daughter and come home to stay for months at a time. Will I lose my home exemption? Would it be better to show that I rent the home? If
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon Darlene. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

As long as you don't turn your house into a rental property, you can maintain your home exemption. You don't have to actually be occupying the property year round to continue to claim it your homestead. But, you don't want to become a resident of another state even though you may be staying with your daughter for extended periods. What you want to do is keep those visits under 180 days a year so you aren't spending more time in another state.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!