ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.

I have a question regarding a fine I have that is part of a

Customer Question

I have a question regarding a fine I have that is part of a DOJ judgement.
Annually they request a review of my finances to determine any changes to my monthly payment plan. I am married. This is my fine only & not my wife's. On the form they request my sources of income which is only social security. The are also requesting the 'household income' asking for my wife's financials also. I keep asking them if she is legally required to provide that. I never get a straight answer. I ask them to show me the statute & they say that is up to me to find.
Am I required to put her financial information on a financial disclosure form that evaluates my ability to pay MY fine? If so----what is the statute.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 7 months ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I will try to assist.

It sounds like you have a financial settlement with DOJ, and those agreements do have statutory law requirements.

There are a few problems with trying to help you this way. First, the price offered to assist is low for the time needed to assist.

Second, the agreement you signed would have specific components which you agreed to, including, it sounds like, the right for DOJ to revise your agreement and request household income to support the payment they want. I don't have that, and the review alone would cost more than the deposit for this question.

Third, there are specific mandates for these judgments, but you did not publish the kind of judgment, term, or length of time you agreed to repay.

I say this because I can help, but it would require a require a review of all of these matters, and the potential for revising your income to manage the payment that you will be negotiating. This is quite an undertaking.

I did one of these a few years back, and the attorneys and I spent a lot of time reviewing the agreement, and settlement options. To do this for you via this site can be done, and I will make an offer.

Accept my proposed Offer of Premium Service, and a private link will be established for you to send me documents I can review, and assist with. The price is for 1.5 hours professional time.

Accept, and we can work on this tomorrow.

Expert:  PDtax replied 7 months ago.

I see you declined my offer. i wish it copuld have been for less, but what you need will take a lot of time to review and advise you.

I'll opt out. Other experts can review your request and advise.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ok---I am not ready yet to pay for the extra assistance but I do have this question----it was a tax case prosecuted criminally. The fine is not --I forget the term--'reparations'-to a victim. I did not sign an agreement----unless I signed off somehow on the adjudication. 20 yr judgement.

I never agreed to anything---I was just told.

It would be impossible for me to get a copy of any agreement---these are people (DOJ) who won't even give me a date as to when the statute runs out. It get complicated as if incarcerated you have to start paying then---but the 20 yr statute does not start until out of BOP custody.

Anyways-----is it your opinion that I should have a document that states the terms?

My wife does not want to give her info. She told them & I did to---'I just want to follow the law-----what's the law?'

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

ok---just wanted to confirm if there should have been a doc or not---I would have accepted your answer for that. Maybe somebody else will pick this question up.

Expert:  ShawnA replied 7 months ago.

They are looking only for your items as this does not involve your wife. List only things about you.

Expert:  ShawnA replied 7 months ago.

They will never take anything of hers.