Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If a partnership owns 50% of a C corps stock. All the

Customer Question

If a partnership owns 50% of a C corps stock. All the partners are full time employees. If the stock is sold is it subject to the net investment income tax.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi, the answer will depending each individual partner's situation.

...

Sale of stock for a gain is certainly something that COULD subject the ultimate taxpayer to NIIT.

...

In general, investment income includes, but is not limited to: ***** ***** capital gains, rental and royalty income, non-qualified annuities, income from businesses involved in trading of financial instruments or commodities and businesses that are passive activities to the taxpayer (within the meaning of section 469).

...

For an individual to be subject to the NIIT (again, these partners will have their proportionate share passed through the K-1, so this ends up being an individual capital gains issue) they must be a certain income levels.

...

Married filing jointly

$250,000

Married filing separately

$125,000

Single

$200,000

Head of household (with qualifying person)

$200,000

Qualifying widow(er) with dependent child

$250,000

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

So, yes, if the i taxpayer partner is above the threshold for their filing status, their WAS a gain on sale, the the additional 3.8% would be added to the capital gains taxation, making the effective rate 3.8% higher for the portion of gain that falls into that bracket

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

...

I hope this has helped.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using the rating request, faces, or stars on your screen)

...

That's the only way I'll be credited for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

.