Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

What's the EIN homemaker?

Customer Question

what's the EIN for a homemaker?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

EIN stands for Employer identification number. It is for businesses, not for individuals. Tax payer ID is his or her social security number. Business tax ID is EIN.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, fine. But the EIN boxes under "Employer" are still required to be completed. What do I put in them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My SS#?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

On what form? Are you an employer? Are you running a business?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but I am e-filing, and on the "Income" page, it asks me who my employer is. I'm filing "Married, Filing Jointly."
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Ok. What's your source of income? What kind of income are you reporting?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Did you get W2 from your employer? Are you self-employed? Did you received unemployment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I pulled up the 2016 tax return, it already had filled out that I was employed at a store, which I did not work at in 2015.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

You need to delete the W2 than. Employer EIN is listed on W2. If you didn't receive it because you didn't work there you need to delete it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did delete it, or rather edit it because that was the option given to me, but the empty boxes remain which require to be filled.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

The program will not allow you e-file it with empty W2. You have to remove it. If you didn't work there in 2015 you will have to take it out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try. Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Penny. I see your prior expert opted out. My name is Richard. Do you need any additional help? Thanks.