Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

What's the EIN homemaker?

Customer Question

what's the EIN for a homemaker?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

EIN stands for Employer identification number. It is for businesses, not for individuals. Tax payer ID is his or her social security number. Business tax ID is EIN.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, fine. But the EIN boxes under "Employer" are still required to be completed. What do I put in them?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My SS#?

On what form? Are you an employer? Are you running a business?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, but I am e-filing, and on the "Income" page, it asks me who my employer is. I'm filing "Married, Filing Jointly."

Ok. What's your source of income? What kind of income are you reporting?

Did you get W2 from your employer? Are you self-employed? Did you received unemployment?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I pulled up the 2016 tax return, it already had filled out that I was employed at a store, which I did not work at in 2015.

You need to delete the W2 than. Employer EIN is listed on W2. If you didn't receive it because you didn't work there you need to delete it.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did delete it, or rather edit it because that was the option given to me, but the empty boxes remain which require to be filled.

The program will not allow you e-file it with empty W2. You have to remove it. If you didn't work there in 2015 you will have to take it out.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, I will try. Thank you.
Expert:  Richard replied 7 months ago.

Good morning Penny. I see your prior expert opted out. My name is Richard. Do you need any additional help? Thanks.