How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14431
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a piece of Audio equipment least 40 years. This year I

Customer Question

I had a piece of Audio equipment for at least 40 years. This year I found out that it was valuable so I sold it on Ebay. I have a very small audio and video business as a part time business but I had the valuable piece many years before I started my small business. I need to know if I should list it as other income in the personal section, or if I should add it in as part of my gross income on my schedule c. My business is a sole proprietor business.
I'm 80 years old. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If this was your personal property then you should show the sale on Schedule D and form 8949 to take advantage of the lower capital gains tax.

This was personal use and owned by you not your business so list it on the form 8949 as long term capital.

You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.