Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My spouse has not filed taxes yrs. When I discovered this in

Customer Question

My spouse has not filed taxes for several yrs. When I discovered this in early 2000's I had a talk with him, he promised to send in the returns. I paid 3 yrs worth of taxes with my unemployment benefits. I discovered again he had not sent returns in 2008, so I filed by myself.
As a result the IRS is coming after me for the whole amount of 2yrs, over 10,000.00. I don't have a job, living on social security. Cant afford this, living on a little over 1,000.00 per month. Is there anything I can do to stop the threats from the IRS?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi Marie,

...

You have a couple of options here; (1) File an offer in Compromise (OIC)

...

Here's IRS' description:

...

"An offer in compromise allows you to settle your tax debt for less than the full amount you owe. It may be a legitimate option if you can't pay your full tax liability, or doing so creates a financial hardship. We consider your unique set of facts and circumstances:

We generally approve an offer in compromise when the amount offered represents the most we can expect to collect within a reasonable period of time. ..."

...

Another option is to set up a payment agreement - If you owe less than $50,000, you can do this online: https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Online-Payment-Agreement-Application

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Yet another option is to provide them with the financial information to show that this would cause financial hardship and ask to be placed in what's called Non-Collectible Status

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

If you'd like I can make what's called an additional Services offer here (I can do this for the smallest Amount JustAnswer will allow -$5)

...

which would allow us to discuss ALL of your options

...

Let me know

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane