Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

QUESTION: What evidence does the IRS require to support a

Customer Question

QUESTION: What evidence does the IRS require to support a deduction for a yardman?
Please cite a reference.
BACKGROUND: I formerly did all my own yardwork, but now am rated as 100% disabled by the VA and have to pay someone to do this work which runs about $200 monthly
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Hello

If this is for a rental property that you have then you are not even required to issue a 1099MISC for lawn care of the rental. The proof would be a check issued or transfer by electronic needs.

If this is lawn care paid for your business property then the issuance of a 1099MISC (for payments over $600) along with the property cancelled check, signed receipt of payment, or electronic transfer of funds is evidence.

If this is for your personal use property then no evidence would be needed because the lawn care is not a deduction.

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/What-kind-of-records-should-I-keep

The above link is the IRS page on record keeping.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded