Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Do they tax you on sale of mineral rights held years.

Customer Question

do they tax you on sale of mineral rights held for 10 years.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: Purchased mineral rights in Texas from mother who passed away for $10000. We are hoping to sell property for $500,000. What taxes can we anticipate paying. We've held property for 10 years.
JA: PayPal, Debitcard or credit card are all fine. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: We have had royalty and lease income for 10 years.
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi -

...

Yes, when you sell mineral rights it is treated as a long-term capital gains sale (IRC 1231) as long as it has been owned for more than one year.

...

Your basis in the asset (the rights) is your purchase price.

...

Long-term gains and qualified dividends are taxed at

...

• 0% if taxable income falls in the 10% or 15% marginal tax brackets
  • 15% if taxable income falls in the 25%, 28%, 33%, or 35% marginal tax brackets
  • 20% if taxable income falls in the 39.6% marginal tax bracket
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

I hope this has helped.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using the rating request, faces, or stars on your screen)

...

That's the only way I'll be credited for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane