socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I have a client who is a VP and asked me to help her with

Customer Question

Hello. I have a client who is a VP and asked me to help her with her taxes. She had $109,000 in moving expenses and some of that is included on her W2 in wages and some has been paid directly to a vendor. She has zero paid for moving day.
I guess it's a little confusing because they included some moving(taxable) expenses in wages and paid some taxes on it and included that on her W2 also. I don't want to deduct something I shouldn't nor do I want to leave out something I should include.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 months ago.

The issue here is quite straight forward. If the moving expenses are reported in Box 12 on the W-2, then they are deductible on Form 3903. Otherwise, the expenses are not deductible.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!