Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My mortgage interest is less than the amount on my 1098-MA,

Customer Question

my mortgage interest is less than the amount on my 1098-MA, how/what do i enter on my tax?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: 1098 amount on box 1 is $15921.01 and 1098-MA amount on box 1 is $20994.25 and box 2 is the same. what do i put on my schedule a 1098?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: this was form was for Mortgage assistance program
JA: Our top Accountant is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Accountant in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Accountant until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Hello

You cannot deduct the interest that is paid for you and shown on the 1098-MA. You can only deduct teh amounts that you paid without assistance, the 1098 interest shown.

If a you qualify for mortgage assistance payments for lower-income families under section 235 of the National Housing Act, part or all of the interest on your mortgage may be paid for you. You cannot deduct the interest that is paid on your behalf.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded