Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I just received a letter from the IRS stating that I owe

Customer Question

Hello, I just received a letter from the IRS stating that I owe $3,105 for "Changes to my 2014 Form 1040". I believe it is for Health Savings Account Distribution and Retirement Income misrepresentation. That amount of money would hurt right now, so I'm looking for some advice on what this all means, and what I need to do about it (the amount or a response is due by April 13th !!!).
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 8 months ago.

So, first off, you can get a payment plan. But before we get there, let's see if you really owe this money. Are they saying you didn't report some money you took from a retirement account or an IRA? You should be able to identify the withdrawal. Do you see the actual amount withdrawn?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have fairly good documentation of my past income (it's low), and might know how I messed up on turbotax. I can scan in any documents, and if this takes extra effort I will pay what is needed for your expert advice.

Okay, was this an IRA or a 401K? how much was withdrawn? and you really did take the money?

Were you unemployed when you took the money?