Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner

While filing my taxes, i was t with an obamacare tax. Im

Customer Question

While filing my taxes, i was hit with an obamacare tax. Im trying to understand why. I have my 21 year old daughter living with me. Shes a full time student and im claiming her as a dependent. Last year she tried to apply for obamacare per the law, and found she didnt qualify because she is a dependent. No one told us I had to get her insurance so I didnt, and shes healthy like most millennials so she didnt get any insurance on her own. This tax year she was happy to see she didnt get hit with the obamacare penalty tax, but to my surprise I ws hit for 1100 bucks! Is this correct or is there something were not understanding. Also, is there a way to get an exemption for this?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 7 months ago.

The taxpayer and their dependents are supposed to have had health insurance for the entire year. If the taxpayer or any dependents did not have insurance for the full tax year, other than the short term exemption of up to two months, a penalty applies for each person. SEE BELOW:

You can also refer to the following IRS webpage:

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, a positive rating of 3 or more stars is appreciated so that I can receive credit for assisting you today.