Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

We did the sale part of a like-kind exchange in December,

Customer Question

We did the sale part of a like-kind exchange in December, 2015 but haven't completed the purchase part - which we will. In the meantime, I want to file the 8824 with the return, but not all the purchase info is available. Should I wait unitl filing the 2016 return to complete the 8824?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Just checking - is anyone there?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi - I can help here.

...

.The exchange is reported on IRS form 8824, for the tax year in which the relinquished property was transferred.

...

So, for an exchange that begins in 2015 and concludes in 2016, the transaction is reported on the taxpayer’s 2015 tax return.

...

If there are unused exchange funds, or “boot”, the receipt of such funds can be reported on the 2014 tax return, using IRS form 6252.

...

The best practice here when you won't have all the info by Apr 15 is to get the 6 month extension, so that you'll have ALL of the information ... given the time lines you'll know everything by October 15h

...

Hope this helps

...

lane

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

...

Let me know…

...

Thanks

Lane