Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have a 19year son with Down Syndrome who is a full time gh

Customer Question

I have a 19year son with Down Syndrome who is a full time high school student that lives with me-I have legal guardianship.He has been recieving SSI for which he helps with room and board monthly.Do i need to claim his room and board as income on my taxes? If so where to I input the information and how?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Hello

No you do not need to report his SSI on your tax return. That is not taxable to you.

That amount is not reported anywhere but you would need to make sure that the SSI he receives is less then the support you provide when checking the ability to claim him as a dependent.

I can give you a worksheet that will make that easier

http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/ecbs/Tax_Dependent_Status_Worksheet.pdf

His SSI is not taxable (to you or him) but you use it to make sure you provide more support. DO not send the worksheet with your return either just keep it.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!