Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses

Well, I'm just trying to understand taxes in CA. I'll be

Customer Question

Well, I'm just trying to understand taxes in CA.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: I'll be moving in by 15th April this year on a L1 visa. My wife and kid will be travelling with me
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My gross pay is 135000
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 7 months ago.

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

Could you please state your question?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'll be relocated to the US by next month with my family(WIFE+KID). I'll be working from CA. I need to know what taxes are applicable and what would be by take take home salary. My gross pay would be 135000 per year
Expert:  Anne replied 7 months ago.

Your take home salary is product of your gross pay, less Social Security tax (which is 6.2%, or $8370 in your case) less Medicare tax (which is .015% or $1958 ) less whatever you tell your employer to withhold for Federal and State tax.

You will fill out a W4 form when you start work in the US , (see example below)

and this will tell your employer how much you want paid towards your Federal tax liability.

You will want to check with your Human Resource people and have them help you decide what is best for you in your individual situation.

I normally claim "Married/0" on my W4, and I always have, even when my kids lived with me, and I have never had a balance due at the end of the year. However, again, you will want HR to help you .

If you have further questions, please post them here & I will be notified.

If this answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  Anne replied 7 months ago.