How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2843
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas and won 2 jackpots in OK in 2015. (Almost

Customer Question

I live in Texas and won 2 jackpots in OK in 2015. (Almost $4000.00) I filed the w2 forms on my Tx return. Ok, then the Turbo Tax site I was using (INTUIT) directed me to the OK return to file for the winnings. BOTH my husbands and my income transferred over to their form. ($125,000) Is that right...? The amount they show I owe is $170.00. Does our income have anything to do with what I was taxed for the jackpots? Thank you...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

$170 or $4000 income is about 4,25% which is what state tax rate usually is. The top OK tax rate is 5.25%. Yes, the program will transfer your federal information to the OK return and that's correct. If you look at the return the first column is for federal amounts and the second column is for OK state amounts. The software is allocating your total income but only the winnings are taxable in OK. If you were taxed on your entire income you would owe about $6,500, not $170.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today? And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did receive this response. I was afraid to hit the disclaimer and get charged another $38.00. I apologize for my ignorance. I feel better and I will send in the money for both TX and OK. (Ugh)...Thank YOU for your help. Every other tax attorney has been $150 or more...
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. I agree attorneys are expensive. Anyway, if you found my answers helpful, a Positive Rating would be greatly appreciated. That's the only way I get credit for assisting you today. Thank you.