How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2443
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am retired. I get $527/mo SocSecurity. I make $300/mo

Customer Question

I am retired. I get $527/mo SocSecurity. I make $300/mo doing small jobs. No Tax ID. Do jobs on my own. Should I have filed a tax return?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you make more than $400 a year from self-employment (before expenses), you are required to file a tax return. If you are making 300/month, which is $3,600 you need to file even if you have 0 net profit (your expenses are more than your income).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not ever filed. Should I go back in time and file?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks. How much will I be charged?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Yes. IRS will not consider any relieve until you file all unfiled returns.

If you need help and don't want to pay fortune to CPA, you can use IRS services for free - taxpayer advocate services.

And here's contact for Oregon office in Portland:

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. Thanks
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Great. And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.