Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I made $2890 on our farm in Alabama in 2015, but I live in

Customer Question

I made $2890 on our farm in Alabama in 2015, but I live in Tennessee can I just file it as farm income on my taxes?
JA: Hi Tennessee. The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: I made $2890 from produce sales on our farm in Alabama in 2015, but I live and work in TN. How do I file the extra 2890?
JA: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know, is there something else that he needs to know? I just wanted to make I file all income that's about it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

You need to use Schedule F to report the farm activity. This would be attached to your federal return. If the farm is in Alabama then you may need to file a nonresident Alabama return.

Nonresidents must file a return if Alabama income exceeds the allowable prorated personal exemption. This means that your Alabama percentage of income is used for the exemption amount too.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 months ago.

Checking to see if you responded