Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

On disability receiving pension full time caregiver and

Customer Question

On disability receiving pension full time caregiver and legal guardian for mentally challenged child adult sister. Sis is that perpetrators 5 yr old she Will be 41 this year can I legally charge sis for my caregiver services which would enable us to quality to earned income
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you charge your sister for services provided as caregiver you will not be able to claim her as your dependent. If you are her legal guardian she cannot be your employer.

You could look into some state programs if you qualify to receive any compensation for taking care of her. Check here:

http://www.in.gov/fssa/ompp/2549.htm

Those payments would be nontaxable, unlike payments from your sister that would be subject to 15.3% self employment tax, and would qualify you for Earned income credit.