How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On disability receiving pension full time caregiver and

Customer Question

On disability receiving pension full time caregiver and legal guardian for mentally challenged child adult sister. Sis is that perpetrators 5 yr old she Will be 41 this year can I legally charge sis for my caregiver services which would enable us to quality to earned income
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you charge your sister for services provided as caregiver you will not be able to claim her as your dependent. If you are her legal guardian she cannot be your employer.

You could look into some state programs if you qualify to receive any compensation for taking care of her. Check here:

Those payments would be nontaxable, unlike payments from your sister that would be subject to 15.3% self employment tax, and would qualify you for Earned income credit.

Related Tax Questions