Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

REceived a 1099S for $225000, from inheritance. No other

Customer Question

REceived a 1099S for $225000, from inheritance. No other details Is it reportable
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

...

Yes, it's reportable (IRS got a copy too and the system is expecting to see a sales proceeds that matches that amount on the schedule D.

...

However, if this sale was in a short time (a year or so) from the time that the decedent passed, then you would likely have no gain (so no tax) or maybe even a small loss.

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Capital gain is the difference in sales price and basis (basis is normally purchase price plus improvements)

...

However, when someone inherits a capital asset (house, land, stock, etc) the basis is "stepped-up" to the Fair Market Value of the asset as of the date of death.

...

So, if you sell before the property has had time to appreciate in value you likely break even and have no gain to report, or given sales costs potentially even a deductible loss

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

...

I hope this has helped.

...

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using the rating request, faces, or stars on your screen)

...

That's the only way I'll be credited for the work here.

...

Thank you!

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Did you see my answer?