emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I live and work in two different cities, 150 miles apart. I

Customer Question

I live and work in two different cities, 150 miles apart. I use a motorhome in a RV park as my second residence. Can I get any deductions for maintaining a second home i.e. mortgage interest on the loan?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It depends on if you are treated as employee or independent contractor and if one of the jobs are considered temporary assignments.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am an employee.

Your tax home is where you work, where your W2 job is located. You can deduct traveling between the jobs but not traveling from home to job. This would be considered a commuting.

If one of the job is a temporary assignment (expected to last less than 1 year) you may deduct temporary living expenses, in your case expenses for your motorhome. But if both jobs are reasonably expected to last more than one year, than no deduction for living expenses is allowed.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
As I understand it then, there is no deduction for two seperate residences. Thanks

IRS publication related to business travel and deduction living expenses: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc511.html

Unfortunately no. If you have two separate residences for two separate jobs and both are expected to last more than one year, both jobs are considered permanent and living expenses are not deductible.

Note in paragraph 5:

You can deduct travel expenses paid or incurred in connection with a temporary work assignment away from home. However, you cannot deduct travel expenses paid in connection with an indefinite work assignment. Any work assignment in excess of one year is considered indefinite.

When the assignment (job) is reasonably expected to last for more than one year, where's your main home or tax home becomes irrelevant.

Craig, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.