Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

During my research of Social Security, I found that I could

Customer Question

During my research of Social Security, I found that I could maximize her benefits over the long haul. I was found to use the following passage, "I'm filing for spousal benefits only."
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi -

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986

...

My MAY have run into the remnants of the strategies that WERE available to everyone prior to the most recent legislative change, (restricted application and file and suspend). Now only those that had reached certain ages before the April 2016 deadline can use those

...

However, as you can see from the Social Security statement I'll paste here, when you apply for spousal benefits there is an automatic maximization that happens

...

See this from Social Security:

...

"If you qualify for benefits on your own record, we will pay that amount first. If the benefit on your spouse’s record is higher, you'll get an additional amount on your spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount."

...

You can read more about that here:https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/applying6.html#&a0=0