Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband and I had to pay 13,000 in taxes last year and we

Customer Question

My husband and I had to pay 13,000 in taxes last year and we were just told 6,000 this year. We were told we don't have enough on deductions to go long form. My first husband and I filled short form and always got money back. Has something changed? My husband and I are simple people we don't make a million a year. 6,000$ is another vacation for us! Unreal
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'd love to answer your question, specifically, but I'd have to know your incomes, how you file, how many personal and dependency exemptions you get, whether you take the standard deduction or itemize (and if so what those are) whether you file as married filing jointly or married filing separately, whether you contribute pre-tax to a qualified plan, etc.

....

There really shouldn't be anything that's changed from 2014 to 2015 in a negative way, the changes were all essentially positive.. See this from IRS: https://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/In-2015,-Various-Tax-Benefits-Increase-Due-to-Inflation-Adjustments

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Maybe you could tell me more about your specifics ( no personally identifying information please, such as last names, phone numbers or emails) I can help you figure it out.

...

The kinds of reasons these things happen when we've had no tax law changes that would do it are moving into a higher tax bracket because you had more household income, contributing LESS to a 401(k) or other plan, less mortgage interest to deduct, etc

...

Let me know

...

I'll be here

..

Lane

.