How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28084
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I leased trucks to my business. How do I report this income

Customer Question

I leased trucks to my business. How do I report this income in my personal tax return file?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 9 months ago.

Is that the truck which you own correct?

When we need to know how that business is organized ? is that LLC, corporation or solo proprietorship?

Another issue - if the truck is used 100% for business purposes?

And if you personally participate in that business activity?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please,just answer the question about reporting my personal income from me leasing the trucks to the business.Yes,the trucks used 100 percent for a business
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
100%,Yes I participate. It is S corp
Expert:  Lev replied 9 months ago.

If your business is organized as separate legal entity - you will report income from leasing as rental income income on schedule E.

You will be able to deduct qualified expenses related to that property - interest on financing , property taxes, depreciation, etc.

However if you personally participate in that business activity - means it woudl be classified as self-rental - and your net rental income will be subject to self-employment tax.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
is it cheaper to pay myself through W-2 for the lease in case of personal participation in this business activity?
Expert:  Lev replied 9 months ago.

That will not be any difference

- the corporation may pay you wages

- the corporation may reimburse you fro business related expenses

- of you may have self-rental if you wish.

Total tax liability will likely be very close.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Lev replied 9 months ago.

S- corporation is your employer and your employer may provide you additional benefits including car allowances - that is OK.

However if such allowances are paid under an accountable reimbursement plan - they are not included into taxable income.In your situation - seems as your employer does not have an accountable plan and because of that - car allowances are reported as wages.

If you are using your car for business purposes - you are allowed to deduct car expenses.

Generally - you have a choice to use actual car expenses OR to calculate your car expenses base on the standard mileage rate.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

Related Tax Questions