How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillip B, EA Your Own Question
Phillip B, EA
Phillip B, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 704
Experience:  Practicing since 2004. Expert in 1040, small business, represent vs. IRS, & int'l tax mattters.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Phillip B, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed taxes years under a sub-chapter S corporation, but

Customer Question

I filed taxes for five years under a sub-chapter S corporation, but they do not appear on my social security record. Unfortunately tha was during the early 1980's and I have destroyed my tax returns. Is there any way I can get a copy of those returns so I can give them to Social Security?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Phillip B, EA replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for using! I will do my best to provide you with a clear and concise answer to your tax question based on the information you have received.

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely that the IRS will have returns back to the 1980's. You can use the methods outlined on this link to see what the IRS can get you. In my experience, 6 years is the oldest return I have been able to track down from the IRS.

The reason your S-corp income doesn't show up with social security is because S-corp income is not credited towards Social Security. With an S-Corp you pay into Social Security by paying your self a W-2 wage, and the remaining income is free from Social Security tax and Medicare tax.

If there are additional questions or concerns, please reply to this answer so that I may assist you further. If this answers your question, please rate my performance between 3 and 5 stars so that I may receive credit for my work. Thanks for your business.