Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

My mother in law passed away in May of 2015. We received a

Customer Question

hello. My mother in law passed away in May of 2015. We received a 1099B. Do we have to copy the 36 pages on form 8949 or can we just photo copy the 1099B and mail that with the tax form?
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Is someone reviewing my question?
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

You would enter the totals in the proper places on the 8949 and in the description area you would indicate

"See Schedule Attached".

That is perfectly acceptable.

In many cases, although you won't find it anywhere, some professional Tax Preparers just enter the totals as noted above but instead of attaching all the 1099B data, they indicate "Details available upon request", and they do not attach the detail. This works a lot better now that the brokerage houses provide the cost information to the IRS. I suspect that they tend to accept this from Tax Preparers as they figure we have looked at the detail.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

In the first instance above, you would attach the securities statements with the 1099B information as you asked.