Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have a down syndrome daughter who will be 40 in May. She

Customer Question

i have a down syndrome daughter who will be 40 in May. She was drawing SSI since she was 18. She does not work at all. She lives at home with mom and stepdad. i retired last year. She now draws off my social security and $ 224 off the government. i claim her on my taxes but have never diclosed her money. Am I suppose to turn her money in on taxes. This is the first year I got anything saying what she drew?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

No, you are not required to include your daughters SS on your tax return.

The only thing that you would need to track is the amount provided for her support through these payments and the amount you provide for her support.

Even though the amount she receives is not taxable it is considered as provided by her for her support. You would need to provide more than that to be able to claim her as a dependent.

I will give you a worksheet that you can use that will make this easier. You do not file the worksheet with your return it is just for you to use to determine that you pay more for her support .

http://www.bussvc.wisc.edu/ecbs/Tax_Dependent_Status_Worksheet.pdf

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you me to clarify