How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2667
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pay tuition sons college education. My ex wife claims my

Customer Question

I pay tuition for my sons college education. My ex wife claims my sons as dependents for federal and New Jersey Taxes. I intend to claim tuition deduction in New York State tax return. My ex wife does not file tax return for New York State. I work in New York and live in New Jersey.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Unfortunately you cannot claim college tuition on your NY state return for couple of reasons. Same as for federal return, the credit (for college tuition) goes with exemption. It means that whoever claims the exemption (for the dependent or for yourself) gets the credit. If you don't claim the child you can't claim the credit. Second reason is that if you live in New Jersey you are NOT resident of New York state. In order to claim the credit you must be full year New York state resident.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Here's NYS college tuition credit info page.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Michael, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

Related Tax Questions