How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 578
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Kind of complicated question buy I will give it a go. Had a

Customer Question

Kind of complicated question buy I will give it a go. Had a final corp return for 2009 that showed a substantial loss. Because of an issue with my then partner, return did not get finished and filed until 2015. Was unable to file personals until corp return was finished. Filed those in 2016 and used the loss on each one. IRS did not accept the loss.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax-Scholar replied 11 months ago.

Hello Sioux Boy - I would need more information to really get to the bottom of this. However there is a three year statute of limitation for filing tax returns. It is possible the IRS is not accepting your 2009 loss year return. Technically the statute does not start until a compete return is filled. However the IRS is not expecting returns from 2009. It might take them an extra 3-6 months to get through the 2009 return and decide what they want to do with it. This will cause a notice then when you try to claim these losses on your personal return. Not filing your returns for this long can create a real mess. Good luck. Also I assume you mean your S Corporation?