Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I am going through an audit business. I own a tax

Customer Question

hello, I am going through an audit for my business. I own a tax preparation business. The auditor came and looked at the first 25 files and stated that she needed to come back and look at another 25. She did give me the option for her not to come back and I just pay for 25 files even if some of them are correct. My question is, if she comes back and finds discrepancies, can she request to go through another 25 files? and if so, would it be best for me to take the penalties that she has assessed and this be over with and I pay it.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 11 months ago.

Q1: can she request to go through another 25 files?

A1: Yes, if discrepancies are found, she can request to look though all of your files.

Q2: would it be best for me to take the penalties that she has assessed and this be over with and I pay it.

A2: Only you know the answer to that question. If you feel that more discrepancies will be found, then if thwy are offering to leave you alone after the 25 files, I would say go for it. However, I don't think that the field rep has the authority to make the decision whether or not more files will be audited. You may want to ask for her supervisor's telephone number and speak to that person. You don't want to find yourself in a trick bag.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, please positively rate my response 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you.