Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

Money was given a relative to purchase a house. Does he have

Customer Question

Money was given a relative to purchase a house. Does he have to declare this money?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

Q: Money was given a relative to purchase a house. Does he have to declare this money?

A: No, this is considered a gift, and gifts are not taxable. However, if the person who gifted the money is a U.S. person, he or she will need to complete a Form 709 if the amount was $14,000 or more. The money is not taxable to either the donor or the donee. The Form 709 is for informational purposes only. Refer to the following IRS link for more detailed information relating to gifts and taxes.

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-Gift-Taxes

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If all is clear, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of 3 or more stars so that I can receive credit for assisting you today.