Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I am just rrying to read this question. It is the same

Customer Question

Hi, I am just rrying to read this question . It is the same situation I have. I am an engineer on a tugboat and I want to make sure I can still calaim 3# ***** day for per diem incidentals
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: does this cost?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I work on a tugboat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I bet that the employer provided food while on the boat - and the cost of food was NOT included into taxable wages reported on W2 ?

If that assumption is correct - the taxpayer would NOT be eligible to use the standard rate for Meals and Incidental Expenses (M&IE)

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

However - the taxpayer might be eligible to use Incidental Expenses only which is $5 per day.

Incidental Expenses include costs for laundry, cleaning and pressing of clothing, and fees and tips for persons who provide services, such as porter and baggage carriers, hygiene products, bottled water and personal grooming services and some others.

Questions?

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.