Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

On the Turbo Tax form, it talks of re-calculating your

Customer Question

On the Turbo Tax form, it talks of re-calculating your federal adjusted income, due to non-conformity of Minnesota State Tax. Supposedly was changed federally but Minn. has not changed. On my return, it lists "0" at the bottom of the page. My question is if mine says "0" do I have to go through this change process which is very difficult to follow and understand
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi - Looks like no one's picking this up... Maybe I can help you make sense of this.

...

When we talk non conformity, we are discussing things that are done one way under Federal Law (IRS form 1040) and differently under state law )for purposes of your state tax return.

...

With turbotax, or any other tax package, the federal return is done first, and then the data flows to the state return ... so the federal is never changed, the only adjustments that are made (say, a deduction that is allowed on your 1040, that's not allowed for the state return) are state adjustments.

....

By the way, Governor Dayton signed @ January 25, 2015, a tax conformity law that allows for deductions including mortgage insurance and teacher supplies... making those two items that used to be non-conforming, now conform to federal law.

...

But those other non-conforming changes should be made automatically, as the data flows from the federal to the state return.

...

Does this help?

...

let me know and we can go from there