How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14044
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recived a tax lock out letter what should I do.***** *****

Customer Question

Hello I recived a tax lock out letter what should I do.***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The Irs sent a letter to my employer but didn't recived the letter until after the 30 days because I was moving and it never made to my new address.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 11 months ago.

Hello, are you available to chat with me about this?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.


You can contact the IRS and request they allow you to continue to claim withholding rates other than Single and 0 if you can show them that the allowances would sufficient to claim when you file.

Once the IRS issues a lock-in letter, you won’t be able to decrease your withholding unless they approve it.

Once you are issued a lock-in letter, you will be given a telephone number to call the IRS for a modification. You will have 60 days to call the IRS. After that date, your employer must withhold income tax from your wages at a single rate with zero allowances.

Call them now if you can substantiate your withholding.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

You need to respond in this thread please

Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

So sorry Linda. Another expert opted out twice in this tread so I had to respond to make your question leave the open list.

You can still respond below.