Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I work out of town in another state that is 500 miles away

Customer Question

I work out of town in another state that is 500 miles away but come home every weekend. what expenses can I deduct for my taxes. I drive this distant each time and pay for an apartment.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 months ago.

Hello

That depends on the nature of your work in this other state. You can deduct travel expenses paid or incurred in connection with a temporary work assignment away from home.

However, you cannot deduct travel expenses paid in connection with an indefinite work assignment.

Any work assignment in excess of one year is considered indefinite. Also, you may not deduct travel expenses at a work location if you realistically expect that you will work there for more than one year, whether or not you actually work there that long. If you realistically expect to work at a temporary location for one year or less, and the expectation changes so that at some point you realistically expect to work there for more than one year, travel expenses become nondeductible when your expectation changes.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Checking back to see if you responded