Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I need help with how to handle the sale of rental property,

Customer Question

Hi. I'm Brigitte. I need help with how to handle the sale of rental property, sold at less than original purchase price.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. My issue is not common. This was property that was owned by my ex-husband and me. Divorce was Dec. 2005. All these years, he has been the one handling the property, receiving rent, depreciating.... I haven't even listed it in all those years. But now, with the sale, I received 45% of the amount, which was $143,000. 45% of the purchase price years ago was $176,400.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Because the property was rented - we also need to know the amount of accumulated depreciation.

Also please clarify why did you receive 45% of proceeds and not 50% as I assume you were equal co-owners?

We need to know - the sale price and selling expenses as well.