R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
63817126

Parents paying care expenses while taking care of daughters

Customer Question

parents paying for Child care expenses while taking care of daughters children while she goes to college, is there any way to get any of this money back from the taxes we pay"
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your tax question today.

If I understand your question, you are asking if you can take a deduction for paying for your grandchild's day care so that your dependent child can attend school, is that correct?

If so, then the credits for Dependent Care are limited to 1) your own dependents, and 2) dependent care if both the taxpayer AND spouse are working. If another dependent is also working or attending school, this has no effect on allowing the credit.

In this case, if you and your spouse are working AND the grandchild is listed as a dependent on YOUR tax return, then you wouldd be eligible for dependent care credit on Form 2441.

If this response answers your question today, please take a moment to provide a positive rating as it is how the experts are paid for their time in assisting you today. Please feel free to post any follow up questions and I will respond as soon as I am able.

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My daughter is not a dependent she is 27 years old

I'm not sure I understand your situation then.

Is your daughter working? Is she married or single?