emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

On inherited property, expenses including repairs were made

Customer Question

On inherited property, expenses including repairs were made on inherited property up to 18 months prior to sale. Is there a time limitation as to what expenses you can take?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The expenses are not deducted, they are added to the basis of the property when calculating capital gains. There's no time limit.

To calculate your capital gains you will add the expenses, plus expenses of the sale to the fair market value of the property on day inheritance and you deduct it from the sales price. If the result is a loss and the property was used for personal purposes (not business or investment), you will not be able to claim the losses but you will still have to claim the capital gains, if any.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you - can I capitalize all of the expenses for the entire period (18 months)

Not exactly. When you sell the property you will have to figure out capital gain or loss. You will use your expenses to reduce the sales price. There's no time limit how far back you can go to add the cost of improvements. If you owned the property for 10 years, than you can add cost of improvements for 10 year.

The expenses are not deducted or capitalized/depreciated separately. The expenses are used to reduce your capital gains on the sale of the property.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.