How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2762
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am unable to drive due to an ongoing medical condition

Customer Question

I am unable to drive due to an ongoing medical condition which revents me from driving -- my wife and I are using a senior assisting service for transportation for grocery shopping and my wife who has dementia is receiving assistance with bathing -- we are both 90 years old
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What's your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am unable to drive due to an ongoing medical condition -- my wife and I have been using a senior assistance service for grocery shopping -- my wife has dementia and we have also been using the service for her bathing -- we are both 90 years old
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I read the post. But what do you need help with? What are you asking about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I claim the expense for the services we are receiving on my income tax return?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Some of the expenses may be deductible. Expenses related to your medical treatment, like transportation to and from a doctor and registered nurse visits would be deductible as medical expenses. Expenses related to housekeeping and personal care would be considered personal in nature and therefore nondeductible. If your wife has dementia, some of the expenses could be deductible as dependent care expenses.

But here's the catch. To be able to deduct those expenses you need to have taxable income. Because of your age and increased standard deduction, you would need income more than 23K, not including your social security to even have any taxable income. What's your total income for the year from other than social security sources?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Those deductions will reduce or eliminate your taxable income but not bellow 0. It means that if you have anything taken out of your social security of retirement check, you can use those deduction to eliminate your taxable income and get those withholdings back. But the deductions will not generate additional refund.

If your taxable income is already 0, which is often the case of many senior citizens in your age you will not benefit from those deductions.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.