Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Having issue after issue it seems with my tax refund this

Customer Question

Hi Stephen! Having issue after issue it seems with my tax refund this year. First it was delayed for identity verification. I called the number given asked a series of specific questions in regards ***** ***** report and prior/current tax returns and was cleared that day to resume processing. About 10 days later WMR updated to show refund approved with a DD date of a few days later. DDD comes but WMR doesn't reflect it was sent. I called the IRS they tell me it was in fact sent to the bank. The next morning WMR updates shows sent. 3 days have gone by still no refund. Bank states they have no notification of a deposit even incoming for me. Call IRS again, she then states my refund was cancelled and reads me the very vague reviewing your return letter. Doesn't state any additional or specific reasoning. Tells me wait 60 more days. Now WMR updates this morning to show code 1121. I know a year or 2 ago there was an issue that caused delays, is something like this happening again?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 months ago.

From what I've been able to find out, code 1121 usually means that there was a coding problem with the bank codes on the direct deposit attempt. That seems to make sense given what you've experienced. At this point it's caught up in the IRS processing system. It probably means there was a typo in the bank clearing code for the refund deposit. The IRS literally has thousands of these to follow-up on so there's really nothing else you can do except to keep checking WMR & hurry up & wait.

Wish I had better news, but you are the third one I've seen with this same issue and they all pretty much follow the same fact pattern.

Questions?

Please remember to rate my response.

Thanks very much.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would the IRS disclose that it was a coding issue? 2 reps have read me the 4464c and said start counting down 60days. One of them specifically said its not the 10 week or 90 day freeze, its the 60 day.
The last rep I spoke to today said made no mention of the 4464c or 60 days. Instead she said that it was up to 9 weeks from identity verification to complete processing. I completed Id verification 3 weeks ago. I asked her if it was more of an error saying a refund was approved and sent when it actually wasn't, like a glitch and she responded "basically." I asked if there was anything particular they were reviewing or needed and she said no. They keep telling me to wait and there's nothing more I can do. It's already been 6 weeks since my return was accepted and seems like there is no end in sight. I have never had these issues before. My refund is particularly high, not sure if that makes a difference in this but I feel like every time I call I get told something different. Do you recommend anything else I can do or should ask them?

I had a response drafted but the question locked for some reason & my response disappeared.

The only other thing you can do is to contact the "Taxpayer Advocate".

Depending upon what's holding up the situation, they may be able to assist.

You need to tell me where you are located, what city & state and I can give you who to call.

They have the power to force the IRS to give them a straight answer as to exactly what is going on.

It may not be an answer you want to hear, but at least it won't be a run around.

I'll be gone until tomorrow afternoon, so I can further assist you at that time if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Left a message for the advocates office today. Do you know if IRS ext numbers matter. Online it has been saying ext 362. Status checked by phone today and it told me to call ext.462. Rep didn't tell me anything more than a 60 day review, no specific reason showing for the review, and that no letters have been sent out. Just curious if the extensions had any more relevance or insight into the hold. Thanks again for your help÷

Not that I know about. The taxpayer Advocate is your best bet.

Please remember to rate my response.

I will still keep the question open for you.

Do you have any additional follow-up questions?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,