Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I'm the new director of a non profit animal shelter and we

Customer Question

I'm the new director of a non profit animal shelter and we pay a vet weekly for her services. My question is: the vet just asked me if "they" sent US a 1099. I thought businesses sent the IRS a 1099, not the other way around
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. The Vet would not send you a 1099.

Technically you would send the vet a 1099 and then also send a copy to the IRS. The 1099 is appropriate if they are a contractor - meaning they have control over when they work, etc. If you control them then they are an employee and you would do tax withholding and send a W-2.

But, no -- the Vet does not need to send you a 1099.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just one more question. Since I have just now become aware that I was supposed to file the 1099 on behalf of the business, and the vet. How much longer do I have to file the 1099 for 2015? End of February? Is there a way to extend the deadline? I still need the phsyical forms and the earliest I could mail them is February 29.
Expert:  Megan C replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question - February 29 is fine for 1099. W-2 was due in January.

Please let me know if you need anything additional, if not, please rate positive.