Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Pearl, My grandson was admitted to a drug rehab center. In

Customer Question

Pearl, My name is Cy. My grandson was admitted to a drug rehab center. In order to assist his mother I paid a portion of the cost can I use this as a deduction? I have the reciepts.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more so we can help you best.
Customer: What specifically do you need to know?
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Accountant now?
Customer: It depends what would be my obligations?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Hello

That depends. Normally you can only claim medical expenses for yourself or a dependent. Sometimes you cannot claim someone as a dependent only because their income is too much. When that happens you can still claim any medical you paid for them on your Schedule A even though you are not claiming them as a dependent.

IF you were going to claim your grandson because you supported him but he had income over $4050 so the rules said you could not THEN you could claim the rehab as a medical deduction.

If you did not and would not be able to claim him anyway, you cannot use the medical expense.

It all depends on if you were looking to claim him as a dependent normally but that rule (about income for relatives being $4050 or more) stopped you then yes, add the rehab to your Schedule A.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!