How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29535
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am co-owner of S-Corp with my son. He wants to buy me out

Customer Question

I am co-owner of S-Corp with my son. He wants to buy me out but does not have cash now. How can I transfer stock now and get paid over time
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

That would bean installment sale.

An installment sale is a sale of property where you will receive at least one payment after the tax year in which the sale occurs. You are required to report gain on an installment sale under the installment method unless you "elect out" on or before the due date for filing your tax return (including extensions) for the year of the sale.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told there were special requirements when selling S-Corp to family member
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

What special requirements do you mean?
What are these requirements that you were told?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a 2nd son who went to Wharton for MBA. His tax lawyer told him installment method does not apply to Family Members? Is he wrong?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

There are some limitations - that is correct.

We may not use the installment reporting method - but we may have an installment sale if your son doesn't have the full amount at the time of sale.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

See here - page 7

Sale to a Related Person
If you sell depreciable property to a related person and the sale is an installment sale, you may not be able to report the sale using the installment method. If you sell property to a related person and the related person disposes of the property before you receive all payments with respect to the sale, you may have to treat the amount realized by the related person as received by you when the related person disposes of the property.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.