Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

What does the info contained in box 9b. total Employee

Customer Question

What does the info contained in box 9b. total Employee Contribution.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What does the amount in this box mean?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Box 1 contains the Gross distribution. Box 2a Taxable amount UNKNOwn; Box 4. Federal Income Tax Withheld.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

The answer to your question depends on the type of investment distribution you're looking at.

If you're looking at a 1099R from a Roth IRA, then that box should have the tax payer's contributions to the Roth.

If you're looking at a 1099R from a pension , that box could contain either the tax payer's investment into the pension, OR that box also reports the $ amount of medical insurance the tax payer paid.

You will need to ask the tax payer if they know what that box represents. If they do not know, then you will have to have the taxpayer contact the company that holds the pension, and ask them what that $ amount is.

Most tax payers know, especially if it is their medical insurance , what the $ amount in that box represents.

If you have further questions, please post them here & I'll be notified.

If this answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer