Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband and I are a team, do we double the perdiam amount

Customer Question

My husband and I are a team, do we double the perdiam amount on our taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

Hi, generally yes ... a specific amount of money an organization gives an individual, often an employee, per day to cover living expenses when traveling for work.

...

So if both of you are out there doing that work, then yes.

...

What it will come down to is whether each individual meets the qualifications of a paticular per diem

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

...

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Our taxman feels if we double the perdiam, it may trigger an audit, how do you feel about that?
Expert:  Lane replied 9 months ago.

I don't know enough to make that determination .. If you both work full-time in the business and the items are being spent by each of you, I would tend to disagree