Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I have an ebay and etsy store. Should I be charging sales

Customer Question

I have an ebay and etsy store. Should I be charging sales tax on my items?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Sales tax is regulated by state law. Each state has different laws about when and who should collect and remit sales tax.

You must have some physical connection to a state to be required to collect sales taxes there. Your post does not mention the specific state where you are, but if you tell me I can look into that state's laws.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry. I am located in California. However, I sell domestic and international.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

The fact that you are in California is the relative point. Because you are in California their sales tax laws apply because the sale is happening in CA.

FTB has already addressed this

https://www.boe.ca.gov/formspubs/pub177/

If, through Internet auction houses you list your merchandise to sell, seek bids, accept a bid from the highest bidder, and transfer the merchandise to the purchaser, you are generally considered the retailer in your transactions.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Please post below

Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Checking back to see if you responded after I supplied all the information