Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I filed my 2015 Taxes and claimed by son as a dependent. He

Customer Question

I filed my 2015 Taxes and claimed by son as a dependent. He is 9 years old, and meets the requirements. I was supposed to receive a nice tax refund, however, i found out that i have an offset, and my entire refund was taken. I am devastated. I was not notified that i had an offset linked to my account. I moved from the state where the offset is, and they told me that change of addresses do not apply state and federal meail. So, i never received any documentation that i had an offset. I file my taxes diligently every year, and this has never been brought to my attention. Can i file an amendment so that my mom can claim my son, as we live in her home, and she pays all the mortgage, and all utilities, as well as his needs for clothing, shoes, etc. I am a single parent, just got divorced in 2015 and a full time student. (i am 44 years old) I am devastated,any suggestions would be appreciated....
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

You can file an amended return and remove your dependent. If your mother meets the requirements to claim your child then she can include him as a dependent.

She will need to mail her return though because the IRS computer will not accept it with a dependent that has already been filed on another return.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please respond so I know you understand

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back to see if you responded in any way