Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My husband & I were married in Dec - he was a teacher here

Customer Question

Hi my husband & I were married in Dec - he was a teacher here for 7 years on a work visa from the Philipines and then last January the Board of Ed advised he they were no re hiring him so his work visa expired- now I want to know if I can file with him jointly as married thanks Louise
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 9 months ago.

Hello

You can file a joint return with your spouse. Even if your spouse is a nonresident alien you have the choice to file married filing joint.

If, at the end of your tax year, you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien (even if you were NOT for the whole year) and married to a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat your nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident for U.S. Federal Individual Income Tax purposes. All his income for the tax year would still be included on the return.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information BUT if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!